Tariffs, Taxes, and Trade Oh My!
Quartz Tariffs and What You Should Know
- All quartz surface products from China are subject to combined anti-dumping (AD) and countervailing duties (CVD) of more than 300%.
- Final AD ranging from 265.81% to 336.69% and the CVD rates range from 45.32% to 190.99%. Together, these AD/CVD duties amount to at least 311.13%.
- In addition, the scope includes quartz allegedly made from glass (i.e. glass quartz).Specifically excluded is crushed glass surface products. Crushed glass surface products must meet each of the following criteria to qualify for this exclusion:
- (1) The crushed glass content is greater than any other single material, by actual weight
- (2) there are pieces of crushed glass visible across the surface of the product
- (3) at least some of the individual pieces of crushed glass that are visible across the surface are larger than one centimeter wide as measured at their widest cross-section (glass pieces)
- (4) the distance between any single glass piece and the closest separate glass piece does not exceed three inches.
- The USITC ordered provisional Conterveiling Duty (CVD) tariffs on quartz from India with preliminary rates of 4.32%.
- In addition, the USITC ordered provision Anti-Dumping Duty (AD) tariffs on quartz from India of 2.62%.
- Final ruling for the %s will not be released until February 20th, 2020.
WHAT DOES THIS ALL MEAN?
- China Quartz & Glass Quartz is out!
- With the uncertainty with the decision of the US government, we are heeding caution with using quartz from India.
- The Stone Resource can offer viable alternatives during these trying times with alternative quartz from Vietnam (currently tariff free) as well as domestic fabrication in our North Carolina facility.
Wooden Cabinets/Vanity Tariffs
- The American Kitchen Cabinet Alliance submitted at the end of March, a petition for AD & CVD pursuant to wood cabinets & vanities from China to the International Trade Administration of the US Dept of Commerce.
- The scope of the petition covers both face-frame and frameless cabinets, made of solid wood and composite panel construction, RTA cabinetry, cabinetry components including doors, drawers, back and end panels, as well as desks, shelves, and tables that are attached to or incorporated in the merchandise.
- Department of Commerce Final Determinations for CVD/AD % rate to be released March 20th, 2020.
- Preliminary rates are up to or around 262%.
WHAT DOES THIS ALL MEAN?
- Cost of Vanities produced in China could increase significantly depending what rate the USITC/DOC determine.
- With the uncertainty with the decision of the US government and the already imposed 25% Trump Tariff, the Stone Resource is producing vanities/wood cabinets in Vietnam (currently tariff free) as well as using our domestic partners.